Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Cookie Cutter Shapes.


As I reflect on the past 5 years of interacting with my pastor, Heath Pearson, I realize that parts of my worldview have changed due to my interactions with this man and the words he spoke to our congregation over the years. I have always believed that each person is different, but somehow I thought that people were like cookie cutter shapes. There are many different cookie cutter shapes and variations. The thing about these cookie cutters is that they make multiple cookies of the same shape. I thought that was how people were different. There are different shapes, but multiples of different shapes.

When I first met Heath I felt very strongly about cookie cutter people. It became evident when I was frustrated with Heath's pastoral style. It was my belief that pastors were to be outgoing, enthusiastic people. It was their job to shake hands, greet people, counsel them, and seek people out. When Heath never did this I began to resent him. I was bitter and frustrated that my new pastor was not qualified to shepherd a flock correctly. He wasn't cut out to be a pastor. In my opinion as a sophomore in college he was trying to fit into a shape that he wasn't made to be. I was hurt that they would put such an introverted man in the position of pastor.
A message that Heath preached over 3 years ago convicted me of my bitterness towards him. I realized that I had wanted him to introduce himself to me and learn my name. I had wanted him to make me feel comfortable in the church, but I had been there before him. I had already established myself (somewhat) in the community. I asked for his forgiveness for acting that way. It was really awkward and uncomfortable to approach the man I thought was suppose to be a certain way and admit that I was in the wrong. I also had an expectation that because I made a step towards him that it would help him become the pastor I thought he was suppose to be, but again I was wrong.
I wanted to find another place to participate in church. I wanted to be a part of a church where the pastor knew my name, saw all of my potential, and asked me to be a leader. I was (and still am) a prideful person. Yet, for some reason, the Holy Spirit kept asking me to stay a part of this community. I didn't want to obey, but thankfully I did.
Heath also felt frustrated about our community at one point as well. I am thankful that he was obedient and stayed. I am thankful that he decided to allow God to use him. I am thankful for the redemption that took place in Heath's life. I thankful that God decided to use Heath and that we were able to learn so much from him.
Throughout the past five years I have been able to watch Heath become the pastor he was made to be. He didn't become the pastor I thought he was suppose to be, but I was able to learn how to play my own role in the community. We never became best buds, but he still impacted my life with his words, actions, and the people he discipled. Heath took us through difficult scriptures and unpacked them with hope and grace. He lead us with humility and authenticity. He allowed himself to be vulnerable with us and was willing to make sacrifices for the betterment of the community. Heath preached boldly and challenged our beliefs. He helped us see the world differently and allowed us the chance to grapple with difficult realities. He didn't sugar coat the gospel and he never gave us pat answers.
His messages about identity and hope have impacted my life. If I had left my community due to my frustration and bitterness toward Heath I would not be where I am today. I wouldn't be continually struggling with the concept of grace because I would have continued to be content with rules. I would see people's issues instead of their potential. I would have viewed my counseling classes with little hope and tried to embark on this journey with determination to do it with no help from my community.
I realize that it was the God in Heath that made the lasting impact, but I am thankful that Heath was obedient and allowed God to use him the way he did. The 509 Community will forever be impacted by this man. Brother, you are missed, but we trust that you are pursuing what the Lord has asked of you.

 


 

1 comment:

  1. I love this. So glad God kept you at the 509, I can't imagine it without you.

    ReplyDelete